Thursday, May 03, 2007

Interviewing & Transcribing


Well, I didn't think I'd be doing all this again. Spoke to Jordan Rudess today to get the background on the new album. On the back of the interviews with Mike and James last week, I'm back to transcribing the interviews. This has to be the worst part of the whole process. I type like a baboon at the best of times, so three interviews is a nightmare. But I can't complain. That's the great thing about writing a book on Dream Theater - the fact that all of them are decent, friendly, regular guys. Not everyone in this business is. It's always a pleasure and entertaining speaking to them. And I've done a lot of that over the last three years - I've worked out that there are about 45 hours worth of interview tapes here! So then it will be a case of writing that all-new final chapter and re-working things.

The other good news is that I have commissioned Hugh Syme to start the book cover art. Can't wait to see what he comes up with. Of course, I'm paying for this myself. Tired of waiting for said publishers to do anything like this. But then, I haven't signed a contract yet - which given the delays has one very big benefit - I'm still a free agent . . . . . .

As for a release date? We should hold a sweepstake. But I have a couple of things up my sleeve which should hopefully come to fruition next week. In the meantime, dig out the Falling Into Infinity album and check out the lyrics to 'Burning My Soul'. There's a delicious irony and coincidence in those lyrics that I'll reveal another time.


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beware of the nugget hype ^^

Best wishes for the end of the journey - if it eventually comes to and end !

And thanks again for your dedication... Although ti seems painful for you (the work, the wait), it's a real pleasure to see the heart and passion you put into this.

7:33 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home