Sunday, December 03, 2006

Never Meet Your Idols

I've spent the weekend penning a few reviews for Classic Rock. Perhaps the hardest piece I've ever had to write was a review of the new Neil Peart book 'Roadshow'. It's basically a travel book detailing Rush 30th anniversary tour. As usual, Peart is a witty and sharp writer, astutely noticing the various foibles of those around him, as well as the places he passes through. But there's also a depressing side to the book. It's obvious that he dislikes fans and touring, and I can to some extent sympathise with that. He comes across as modest and someone who really can't get his head around why people revere him. But in my humble opinion, the tale of him pushing a fan onto the floor after after his admirer had asked him to sign a load of old LP's was appalling. There may be more to the story than meets the eye, but the way it has been written leaves Peart in an extremely bad light. Fans do take extraordinary steps to meet their idols. It would have been far easier to sign the records in 10 seconds and move on. Leaving the guy in a heap surrounded by his treasured (and presumably now scratched) vinyl was un-necessary. It reminds me of the time when as a 12 year old lad, ny Dad took me to see Yorkshire play cricket. He wanted to show me what a great player Geoff Boycott was. During the interval, I wandered over the the pavillion to ask Mr Boycott to sign the game programme for my Dad. He refused saying "No. I'm reading my paper." I've been a football lover ever since.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home