Thursday, July 28, 2011

The Tangent

Seems my review of the latest Tangent DVD has caused a bit of a stir (understatement).

Admittedly, some of my comments were probably a touch harsh and I have since been in contact with Andy Tillison and we've had a frank exchange of opinions. What I would stress is that I am a fan of the Tangent's music and I can't wait to hear their new CD. In my defence of the DVD review, I'd just like to stress a couple of things:

Whether the release was intended for "fans only" (in itself an odd description as I can't imagine any "non-fans" buying it), I was given a DVD to review. In doing that, I have to give my honest opinion about the visual contents as well as the musical. Although many didn't agree with my criticisms, I feel they were in part justified. It is a low budget film, with no fan interaction to enliven things, and it just looks done on the cheap. Could I therefore recommend that people spend money on it? In my opinion, no. It may be aimed at fans and paid for by fans, but last time I looked it was still on sale on their website and as such can't be treated any different from any release. It's simply not what I personally would be looking for in a live DVD. Others may find it awesome. I guess that's what opinions / freedom of expression is all about. This might sound patronising but I honestly think the band deserved better. Musically, they have always been top notch and the soundtrack on this DVD continues that. But as a visual experience, it's just not one for me. On a more general note, it is irksome how there are people out there who believe that just because something is prog, that it has to be great!!

I know Andy was upset by my comments, which I have since apologised for as I am fully aware he's an honest and decent guy who is determined to make a success of the band. I think he understands where I was coming from, even if I did make my point too bluntly. He's also been gracious enough to ask me over to his place in order I can listen to the new CD - an offer which I hope to take up very soon.

1 Comments:

Anonymous andy tillison said...

This all makes sense to me. At this moment, I personally regret ever responding to what you wrote and feel that it was just an uncharacteristic blip caused by the all too tempting allure of "being able to hit back" that once would have been impossible.

It has been nice to communicate with you since, and I feel that your blog message does justify to most extents what you said in the original review. My very best wishes.

Andy Tillison

1:56 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home